Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Finding Common Ground

About 15 years ago, I met a woman named Veronica who was a co-worker of mine. I'm not sure I've ever met anyone who "rubbed me the wrong way" as much this woman did. I found her obnoxious, rude, sarcastic, and overall, just not my kind of woman.

Since I would be working with her, I decided to get to know her by issuing her an invitation to a party at my house. (Okay, you may know what's coming.) Veronica and I developed a close friendship that has last for 15 years and counting. Her little "quirks" are now funny to me.

When I read posts or listen to friends who are politically very "charged" over their own political views, I feel that they would be better served by looking for the common ground and not quoting Rush Limbaugh or Bill Maher as examples of good political mentors. These guys are entertainers. They are not political gurus. The differences we react to are presented as so extreme that only a fool wouldn't agree with the "correct" side. The truth is usually closer to the middle. If we could accept this premise, maybe things would be resolved in a much more expedient fashion.

As human beings, we have far more areas in common than we do in conflict. Why not spend a little more time finding the common ground? I think a lot of us share a lot more views than we differ on.

I think we all want what's best for our children. I think we all want what's best for our neighbors and our world. If we could just stop with the "us and them" mentality, this would be a happier and more productive world.

I usually concentrate on presenting lighthearted or funny subjects. I apologize if I sound boring on this one. Or as I always say ... I'm just saying...

No comments:

Post a Comment